Friday, January 29, 2016

Why It's Abundant

A re-post from 5 Jan 2015

Someone asked me where I got the idea of an “abundant life” from in the title of this blog.  It comes from the verse in the Bible, in the Gospel of John, chapter 10, verse 10:  “I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly”. (NKJV)
It seems that many people take that to mean have THINGS more abundantly, but Jesus said LIFE.  I really believe that if you follow Him you’ll have so much “life” that you will hardly be able to keep up!  That is sure the way it is in our life. Always, there has been just enough “stuff” and more than enough family and friends and experiences.  His Abundance doesn’t equal financial wealth; it equals a wealth of the experiences of living!
This photo is a great example of this. My little sister and me, standing with our mamma and daddy and grandma (the Irbie of previous postings). Pa, my grandfather, is taking the picture, I’m sure.  It was probably Sunday afternoon by the way my mom and dad are dressed. I don’t remember the day exactly, of course. But I’m pretty sure we had Sunday dinner, changed into our play clothes and headed outside. Except for Daddy’s clothes, everything was handmade, by mom and Grandma. The food was simple, but delicious, and our toys were not fancy.  Even the Barbies wore clothes that my grandma and her sister made from scraps of our clothes. It’s an example of the earliest times I remember, and of how an uncomplicated, poor by many a person’s standard, life can be rich in the things that matter. All because we knew then, and have always known since, to Whom the credit should be given for all that we have.
Here’s another one of the songs Grandma Irbie used to sing to us at bedtime.
I love to tell the story of unseen things above, 
of Jesus and his glory, of Jesus and his love.  
I love to tell the story, because I know ’tis true; 
it satisfies my longings as nothing else can do. 
Refrain:
I love to tell the story, ’twill be my theme in glory, 
to tell the old, old story of Jesus and his love.
2. I love to tell the story; ’tis pleasant to repeat 
what seems, each time I tell it, more wonderfully sweet.  
I love to tell the story, for some have never heard 
the message of salvation from God’s own holy Word.  
(Refrain)
3. I love to tell the story, for those who know it best 
seem hungering and thirsting to hear it like the rest.  
And when, in scenes of glory, I sing the new, new song, 
’twill be the old, old story that I have loved so long.
(Refrain)

No comments:

Post a Comment